LOST YOUR PET?
If you have lost your family pet, and would like to get the word out, please take the following steps:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org - Include a description of your pet, any collars or identification they may have, where they were last seen, and a contact number to report sightings as well as a clear photograph of your pet alone. We will post this information on our Facebook Page to ensure town wide visibility.
- Contact the Nanton Vet Clinic - 403-646-2060. Often times, people will turn found animals into the clinic in hopes of tracking the owner down through tags or microchips.
- Use social media platforms to make posts on the multiple groups and pages within the community the animal was last seen. Suggested Pages for Nanton: "Everything Nanton", "Things Going on in and around Nanton".
- Contact the local bylaw officers to inquire about sightings or possible impounding of your pet.
If you are missing a pet, please check out our Strays in Holding. Please note that NAPS is in accordance with all of the current bylaws as listed by the Animal Protection Act. This means found pets be held for 5 days. If no owner can be located within that timeframe, pets may go up for adoption.
Think You've Found Someone's Pet?
Have you found an animal? Does it appear as though the animal is well fed/cared for? If so, it probably belongs to someone. There are a few things you can do before contacting NAPS.
- Ask your neighbors if anyone recognizes this animal. Knocking on doors on your street, and one street over in each direction is a good way to see if the animal may have slipped out of the house or is an indoor/outdoor pet with no ID.
- Check in the inner ear or belly for a tattoo. If there is one, please phone a local vet to have the tattoo traced back to the owner. Vets can also use a special machine to search the animal for a Microchip which can trace the owners as well. Sometimes, bringing the animal straight to a nearby vet is the best way to determine an owner.
- Post a photo and details of the animal on our Facebook Page as FOUND. Our followers will ensure the word gets out that a local animal has been found. NAPS has helped return many lost pets to their rightful owners in this way.
- Also, see the "Contact Us" page for the contact information for the Nanton Town Bylaw officer, who can collect at large canines within the town limits.